When I started this blog, a big part of helping me really get it off the ground was the kindness shown to me by fellow bloggers.
I found other blogs purely by chance – I browsed around on Google and found a few that I liked. Then I looked at people who commented on blogs I was reading, and also perused other bloggers’ blogrolls.
From here, I began to put together my own Guiltless Life blogroll that felt really genuine to me. It’s the list that I read through when sitting down with my morning cup of tea.
This way I am able to use my blogroll as a tool myself while hopefully providing links to some great reading material for others browsing the web.
As I got shout-outs from some of my new blogging friends, my traffic climbed and gradually I am beginning to develop a faithful pack of readers who visit on a daily basis.
There are a number of factors that go into growing and maintaining a successful blog, and I’m learning as I go, but I have learned that developing a community within the blog world is definitely one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t read other blogs and get to know other bloggers just because I want to get more traffic. That’s a great bonus that often comes from getting to know other bloggers but the main reasons I read are:
- I love blogs! That’s why I started blogging in the first place!
- For blogging inspiration
- To develop relationships
- I connect with a lot of things that others write about
- To get ideas for ways to improve my own life
To try and show my appreciation for this wonderful community that we call the blog world, I will feature the sites listed on my blogroll each month in a ‘Blog Love‘ post. Eventually, I want to grow this into a Link Party so any and all blogs can share their top-rated posts for the month!
- links to the top 3 posts visited on my blog so far this month
- links to one post from each blog on my blogroll (and my blogroll is always growing and changing!)
This way you can visit this post at any point when you’re bored and want something to read – and hey, if you make it all the way through this list, good for you! I know you’ll have enjoyed some quality reads.
So without further ado, here’s October’s blog love (and yes, future Blog Love posts won’t be nearly as wordy because I’ll skip all of this explanation!)
MY TOP-RATED POSTS for October (not including giveaway posts, because, obviously!):
- Better-than-Starbucks’ Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Chic AND Cozy: Fall’s Best Cardigans
- Leek, Spinach, Lentil and Potato Pie
- Sarah, aka Mama Pea from the hilarious and delicious (can a blog be delicious??) blog Peas and Thank You (ahem, Sarah is also the author of the cookbook Peas and Thank You and is working on her second!) sent over her top post this month. As she wrote to me: “Tofu, who knew?!”
- Angela from Oh She Glows! is an amazing vegan blogger with an online store filled with goodies galore. Her foodie posts are honest, beautiful and tasty and she’s a fellow Canadian blogger! She told me that her top-rated post this month was her Butternut Squash Mac ‘n’ Cheeze…yum!
- Katie of Chocolate-Covered Katie told me that her Cookie Dough Dip recipe post went viral this month! She’s had such crazy success with this post that there’s a chance you may all have seen it already, but if you have, I’m sure you won’t mind seeing it again, and if you haven’t, feast your eyes on this…(did I mention it’s healthy?!)
- Chelsey from Clean Eating Chelsey told me that one of her top recipes this month was her pesto mac and cheese, which I know was already pinned on my Pinterest board to make! Vegan and delicious – who would have thought of combining those two sauces? Amazing.
- Katie from Healthy Diva Eats let me have full rein of her blog to choose one of my favourite posts she wrote this past month. I loved her How We Roll date night post because it gives you a snapshot of all the things I love about Katie’s blog – her style, her sushi love!, her philosophy on life, how much she loves her family…so much!
- Alex from Spoonful of Sugar Free is hosting her second sugar-free challenge and told me that this was her top post this month. Sign up to go without sugar for 10 days and see how you feel! It’s always good to challenge ourselves!
- Jenn from Peas and Crayons (and the creator of the ingenious What I Ate Wednesday link party) sent me a link to her innovative recipe, Pumpkin Basil Cheesecake Spread (um, yum???) that a fellow blogger has already made and raved about! Jenn says it’s extra good on crusty bread or crackers so give it a try that way!
- Kate from A Healthy Passion said that her top post this month were her delicious-looking and good-for-you Portobello mushroom and kale burgers. Yum!
- Sala from Veggie Belly cooks the most delicious food and her food photography is incredible (she sometimes writes blog posts with guidelines for aspiring food photographers!). Recently she and her husband moved across the US to Portland and she documented her vegetarian road trip across America – it’s fascinating to see the different types of veggie food she was able to find across the country! Sala said Part 3 of this post series received the most hits for her this month.
- Missy at Pink Pistachio took her adorable family to the pumpkin patch this month and she says that post got some major attention – no doubt something to do with one adorable pup and an extra adorable little boy!
- Ari at The Diva Dish said she already got some great responses from the delicious and healthy cookie dough layered brownies she posted last week. All kinds of great ingredients go into these brownies: beans, cashews…things you would never expect, and yet they come out looking (and no doubt tasting) like…well, check it out below! Yum!
- Annie, Chelsea and Holly are three sisters who run Naturally Sweet Recipes, a blog after my own heart as they cook using natural sweeteners only – no more white sugar, yay! They are the ones who introduced me to the wonders of coconut sugar that I went and splurged on at Whole Foods last week. I can’t wait to start cooking with that. Annie let me know that their Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies took the top-rated post prize for October. Sweet goodness!
- Amy from Family Feedbag is a baking, cooking mom extraordinaire with some beautiful food photography skills! She sent me her top-rated post this month and it was no surprise: her fall apple pie. Just look at it!
- Averie from Love Veggies and Yoga had a hit with her vegan, gluten-free Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars, which also fit right in with the fall theme we all love so much: pumpkin, of course!
- Gina at Fitnessista gives you a peppermint patty drink recipe and a killer workout, all in one post: Peppermint Patty
- Dianna at The Budget Babe had a busy month as she GOT MARRIED! but still found time to recreate this killer Zoe Saldana outfit for us on a budget: Zoe Saldana’s Sequin Jacket and Black Pants
And that’s a wrap for October’s Blog Love!
QUESTION for bloggers:
- Would you take part in this if this became a link party (where you write a post featuring your top-rated posts for the month and then link it up on my blog)?