So yesterday I set out my year-long goals for 2012, thanks to my somewhat intimidating(!) inspiration board.
A way to make that board much less intimidating is to try to manifest those visions by breaking them down into smaller goals I can achieve month to month.
There were really four areas I covered on my inspiration board that I have actual control over. The rest I can just visualize and hope for the best (ie a healthy baby for my sister).
The four areas I have some amount of control over are:
- Living a clean lifestyle
- Varying my physical activity
- Fostering my work and hobbies
- Connecting and building relationships
These are the four areas, therefore, that I want to focus my goal-setting on for this month and future months throughout the year.
First, however, let’s take a quick glance back at December’s goals and see what I achieved.
These were the goals I laid out for myself in December:
- Do something really festive with a friend – well, I certainly had a great trip up Grouse Mountain which is incredibly festive in the Christmas season! And there were endless parties and get-togethers, so I count this one as a win!
- Try to get into the early morning workout groove – just try to do one this month and if you don’t find it that bad, try and keep it up! This actually went really well until the holidays hit ;). I got up and got to my apartment building’s gym for a quick half-hour workout before work at least 2-3 days a week!
- Decorate the house in Christmas style! I hope you liked my Christmas decorations – went for a pinecone theme this year. Check!
- Come up with a rockin’ Christmas menu, seeing as we’re hosting Christmas dinner for friends this year – I want to impress them with a delicious vegetarian Christmas! The Christmas menu was a huge success. It was so much fun and there was SO. Much. Good. Food.
- Give back during the holiday season – Thanks to Katie’s suggestion, I had the opportunity to donate to the Farm Sanctuary – before December 16 donations were matched 100% by an anonymous donor. Even though they’re no longer being matched it is still a great cause to help so many animals in need, so please check it out!
- Embrace the Christmas spirit – easier said than done as my father passed away around this time of year so for the past couple of years it’s been tough getting into the spirit. I’m going to make a real effort this year though, so fingers crossed! I did make an effort and I really did have a wonderful Christmas this year :).
December was super successful – all my goals got achieved, so yet another thing to be thankful for!
Now onto January’s goals:
Going back to those 4 key areas I want to focus on, here are my goals this month:
Living a clean lifestyle
- Start swapping out my current beauty products for toxin-free ones as they run out (I don’t want to waste!). A great resource to find out how toxic your favourite products are is this database. I keep the link on my phone and if I’m in the supermarket, I just plug in the product’s name and read the basic stats!
- Clean out my diet after the atrocity that was the holiday season haha! My naturopath also wants to try me on a cleanse, as she told me I have a lot of blocked detox pathways, so no doubt that will help to kick my butt into gear!
Varying my physical activity
- Going back to a goal from a few months ago that I never achieved, I want to register for a dance class and for Zumba!
- Keep going to yoga, but restrict to 2-3 times a week and mix in the dance/Zumba and my usual gym workouts with some HIIT like Tabata intervals. I want to keep things mixed up to keep challenging my body and to ensure I don’t get bored!
Fostering my work and hobbies
- I really want to make sure I don’t let my new Nikon just sit around gathering dust. I bought an awesome macro lens with the camera so I want to go on at least 2 photo walks this month to really test it out and try to get to grips with it.
- I got Plate to Pixel in my stocking this year (thanks Santa!) so I want to continue reading through the book to get some tips and tricks to enhance my photography knowledge.
Connecting and building relationships
- Things got quiet over the holidays with so many friends away. Although I celebrated both Christmas and New Year’s with friends, the rest of the time we were all so busy and so many people were away that we didn’t connect as much as I’d like to. So in January I really want to get together more with friends!
Wow, so 7 goals! Maybe my 8th goal should be to give myself fewer goals in upcoming months ;).
- What are some goals you have for January?