(Thanks to Jenn as always for hosting – cute new February-appropriate button Jenn!)
My cleanse is over!
Let’s recap what I COULDN’T eat for the last 4.5 weeks, shall we?:
- meat/fish (fine for me of course!)
- honey or simple sugars
- alcohol or caffeine
- soy products
- peanuts or peanut products
- hydrogenated/processed oils
- relish, BBQ sauce, chutney, ketchup etc (pretty much mustard is the only condiment allowed)
These are all foods that can provoke allergic or sensitive reactions in people, so the idea is to cut them out completely and then slowly reintroduce them after the cleanse to see if any give you issues.
In honour of the last 4 1/2 weeks of intense detoxing, I have put together a short list of my favourite recipes that I can’t wait to indulge in now that the cleanse is dunzo – along with a couple of recipes that I have never tried but am very much looking forward to!
- INDIAN FOOD! My Riso Alla Orientale – paneer or halloumi cheese in a creamy tomato Indian sauce on Indian rice…yummay!
- Goat cheese is back in my life! And eggs! That means one thing: Mushroom Goat Cheese Quiche
- I have to reintroduce dairy for a few days and see how I cope – so my choice for reintroduction? Cheese of course! This delish 3-Cheese Artichoke Lasagna is calling my name!
- Chocolate! In this second cleanse I was allowed natural sweeteners, which are all I eat anyway when it comes to sweet stuff. But still I wasn’t allowed chocolate! Surprisingly not having chocolate for 4 1/2 weeks has meant that my chocolate cravings are way down. I don’t really crave a huge slab of chocolate anymore. But I did miss the little things – like chocolate chips on my oats:
- And these delicious chocolate chip cookies!
A few other things on my to-make list that I haven’t yet tried but am DYING to:
- Chocolate Covered Katie’s vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles…
- I know Kris from I Heart Wellness has been on a challenging grain-free diet lately, but I’ve been drooling over her treats, which may have been grain-free but couldn’t fit with my cleanse (which allowed for grains, but no dairy or chocolate; we couldn’t get our cleanses to sync up!). I am super excited for this Greek chocolate mousse! And of course the macaroons don’t hurt either ;).
- These are healthy cinnamon rolls from the lovely Kristine at Busy But Healthy and they would have fit in with my cleanse requirements if not for the eggs…so now that I’m off they are on the top of my list of things to make! They look delicious and I’m so glad they’re gluten-free and naturally sweetened so I won’t feel like crap after eating them like I usually do after a Cinnabon!
- Any of these catch your eye?
- If you had to give up all of those foods for 3 weeks, what would be the FIRST one that you would reintroduce, or the first dish you would want to dive into when your cleanse ended?