You knew it was coming..!
I ended last week with a protein waffle recipe so I thought, why not make it 2 for 2? Seeing as how I’m totally obsessed with protein waffles right now.
I previewed this beauty in WIAW this week, as I’ve been having one for breakfast gee…uh…nearly every day! This was a guest post I wrote for Char on Wednesday, so I’m now posting it up here in case you missed it!
Also, some of you have been asking me about the fact that I add protein to so many of my treats, so I thought I’d copy and paste straight from my post for Char, where I explain that a bit:
One thing you will learn soon after you get to my blog is that YES, I love treats, and love natural sweeteners, but I also love making my treats into protein treats. As vegetarians and vegans we have to be careful we get enough protein. For some people, this just means getting the standard recommended amount (I think the formula usually works out to something like 45-55 g per day for the average woman), but everyone’s different and for myself personally I find I do much better on a diet of about 90-100g of protein per day.
I started eating this much protein leading up to my recent eye surgery, as my naturopath told me it would help aid recovery if I stuffed my body full of fruit, veg and protein! I couldn’t believe the difference – I was full longer on much less, I was getting so much stronger from my workouts and – the biggest noticeable difference for me (because this is an issue that has plagued me forever!) is that my nails are so strong! They’re not weak and flaky at all. They are long and strong and I love it! I owe it all to protein, and of course the vitamins and minerals I get from a pretty clean, produce-packed diet.
Having said that, if you’re not keen on protein-ing up all your goods, just sub more flour in for the protein powder in this recipe.
If you have any more questions about my protein-rich diet, shoot me an email and I’ll get back to you!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Protein Waffle
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 large waffle or 2-4 small ones, depending on the size of your waffle maker):
3 tbsp oats
3 tbsp spelt flour
1/2 scoop protein powder (vanilla or chocolate) – about 2.5 tbsp
1/8 tsp salt
1 packet stevia
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp chocolate chips
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup almond milk
Peanut butter sauce (optional):
1/2 tbsp peanut butter (I use Better ‘n Peanut Butter)
2-3 tsp almond milk or milk of choice
4 drops liquid stevia or sweetener of choice (agave, maple etc)
1. Blend oats in a blender to make flour.
2. Pour oat flour into a bowl and add spelt flour, protein powder, salt, stevia and baking powder. Mix well.
3. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Add almond milk and vanilla, stir. Pour into a heated waffle maker and cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
5. While waffle is cooking, make peanut butter sauce (if you want), by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and heating in microwave for 15-20 seconds. Stir well.
6. When waffle is done, place on plate and pour peanut butter sauce over. Top with sliced banana, extra chocolate chips and any other topping you prefer!
*NOTE: Peeps, if you are without a waffle maker, have no fear! Check out my recipe for vegan chocolate chip protein pancakes.
- Do you find you do better on a higher protein diet – or is this not something you have ever tracked?