Happy blogiversary to me!
One year ago today I started The Guiltless Life with a recipe for Gruyere, Leek and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche (still one of my favourite quiche recipes!).
I had been blogging previously under a blog titled Guiltless & Glamorous, when I provided up-to-date info on beauty and fashion manufacturers who produced goods that weren’t tested on animals.
Then I launched into the food side of things with Guiltless & Gourmet, posting my dinner every day in an attempt to answer that oft-asked question of vegetarians: What do you eat?
After getting involved with the blog world through reading blogs, particularly some of my favourites, I decided to launch the two together in a new lifestyle blog, and thus, The Guiltless Life was born.
I launched it with four sections – NOURISH (food), MOVE (exercise), PRETTIFY (beauty/fashion) and PONDER (everything in between) as a way to keep myself accountable for my lifestyle but also encourage a community where great ideas could be shared to encourage us all to continue to grow on our healthy living paths.
I suppose it’s sadly ironic that on this, the blog’s 1-year anniversary, I’m not 100% sure of its future, but that doesn’t really matter. It’s been a great year and I’ve learned a ton. Let’s see…
- I hated tofu when I started this blog. Now I put it in smoothies. Nuts.
- I had never heard of, or did not use: hemp hearts, flax eggs, almond milk, stevia, coconut sugar, almond and coconut flours, xanthan gum (or guar gum), tapioca starch (or basically anything about gluten-free baking), microwave muffins in a mug, using beans or chickpeas in baked goods…the list goes on. Oh, and – whether you believe it or not – I had never made a protein baked good in my life.
- I had never done a cleanse.
- I didn’t set monthly goals. Not even in my mind. Now I don’t know how I ever got anything done!
- I hadn’t met a bunch of awesome peeps that I consider my friends.
So to round up this 1-year post (before I get to announcing the winner of the CLIF bar giveaway, which I know you all want to know!), I thought I’d point out some of my favourite posts over this past year:
- Most Underrated Recipe: This Riso alla Orientale. It’s the most delicious Indian/Italian meal I’ve ever had.
- Most Enjoyable Blogging Community Experience: The cookie swap! (Of course! You should know by now I’m a total cookie monster).
- Best Physical Activity I’ve Tried: Stand-up paddleboarding, for sure. So fun, it’s a shame it’s seasonal :(.
- My Favourite WIAW Post: Everything in this post was so delicious, and yet so balanced nutritionally. I need to eat like this every day!
- Favourite Treat I Created: Probably these Lindor truffle-like homemade chocolate truffles. Melt-in-your-mouth divine.
- Favourite Starbucks Treat I Healthified: These pumpkin cream cheese muffins. They’ve had the most hits too!
- Post That Received the Most Heartfelt Response: This one about my writing, the hurricane my family went through, the books that I had written that were destroyed in that hurricane…hoo boy. This didn’t get as many comments but it got me a lot of emails that were LONG, heartfelt emails from people who were writers and were thanking me for my honesty or just people who appreciated the post. I was really touched by the response I got to this post.
- have achieved many, many goals
- attended my first writers’ conference, where I had my work critiqued by an editor and I pitched my book to an agent (and subsequently received a manuscript request!)
- have become an aunt (yayyy!)
- have travelled widely
- have improved my eating habits a lot
- have tried lots of new workouts
- have had laser eye surgery
It’s fun to have an electronic record of all of this to go back to in future years.
For now, though, let’s get to the goodies ;).
And the winner of the CLIF bar giveaway, at long last, is…
Email me at email@example.com with your full name, postal address and phone number so I can pass it onto the lovely peeps at CLIF bar – and your goodies will be on their way shortly!
And to everyone else, thanks for entering and thanks for sticking with me and reading over this past year. It’s been a total blast and even if nothing more comes of this blog, I have really enjoyed myself!
So see you soon…maybe! 🙂